All India Trinamool Congress (AITC)
About the All India Trinamool Congress
All India Trinamool Congress is a party founded by Mamata Banerjee in the year 1998 and is popularly called as Trinamool Congress. Currently the party formed its government in the state of West Bengal by defeating CPIM which was ruling the state for last 34 years. Mamata remained with INC for two decades before forming her own party. She was part of the coalition government of BJP. She was given the railway ministry during the NDA government but resigned the post when she left the coalition. AITMC gave support to the UPA government in the last elections, but withdrew support as she was not happy with some of the policies of the government like FDI in finance sector, price hike, etc. Apart from West Bengal, it is present in Arunachal Pradesh,Tripura and Manipur.
The symbol of the AITC is two flowers in grass. The symbol is accepted by the Election Commission too. It has all the colors of our national flag and has a slogan saying ‘Ma Maati Manush’ which means Mother Motherland and People. It describes the motherland and the people living on that land.The party works for the people who belong to the lower sections of the society.
Leaders of AITC
The leaders of the AITC who represents the party at the national level are:
- Manata Banerjee: Mamata Banerjee is the chief minister of West Bengal and deals with a large number of ministries in her cabinet like Minority Affairs, Health and Family Affairs, Home Ministry, Information and Cultural Affairs and others. She represented the party in the parliament before she became the CM.
Mukul Roy: He is the General Secretary of the party and represents AITMC in the Rajya Sabha. He was an Ex Railway minister of UPA government.
Sudip Bandhopadhyay: He is the chief spokesperson of the party and represents north Kolkata.
- Partha Chaterjee: He is the General Secretary of the party in West Bengal.
- Kanwar Deep Singh: He is a member of Upper House of the Parliament and President of the Indian Hockey Federation.
Achievements of AITC
- It has some frontal organizations formed for its credit likeTrinamool Chhatra Parishad as student wing, All India Trinamool Yuva as youth wing, All India Mahila Trinamool Congress as women’s wing and Indian National Trinamool Trade Union Congress as it labor wing.
- They played an important role in the protests of Nandigram and Singur after CPM government opened fire on the farmers. They also protested the land grabbing act of the CPIM where they were grabbing lands of the farmers for industrialization.
- They claim to have provided jobs to people belonging to the lower class of the society, special schemes have been made for the girl child in the family under the ‘Kanyashree’ plan. They also claim to have reduced maoist problem in the state to an extend.
Official Website of AITMC: https://aitmc.org
Head-Office Address of AITMC: 30B, Harish Chatterjee Street, Kolkata – 700026
Phone: 033- 24540881
FAX: 033- 24540880
Email id: [email protected]
Last Updated on 10/3/2013