Nationalist Congress Party (NCP)
About the Nationalist Congress Party
In the year 1999, three leaders – Sharad Pawar, P A Sangma and Tariq Anwar of the Congress party were expelled from the party after they strongly opposed Sonia Gandhi who was born Italian from becoming the chief of the party. Together on 25th May 1999, they formed a new party called Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) with the support of thousands of people in New Delhi. It is centre-left political party which believes in the ideologies of former Congress leaders like Dadabhai Naoroji, Annie Besant, Jawaharlal Nehru, etc. Election Commission has recognized the party as a party of national importance and it is the only party to achieve that status in a very less span of time.
It believed in forming a democratic secular country with social equality and national unity. It believes that power should be decentralized at the lower level for better administration. It believes in working for the betterment of the weaker sections of the society like the people who comes under Scheduled Class, Scheduled Tribe and other Backward Classes. It believes that it is necessary to make the country self reliant and self sufficient for better economic growth.
The party does not believe in dynasty power and for the same reason it strongly opposed Indian National Congress. It even believed that no person from the foreign origin should take position in the highest rank in the country. It believed that the governance of the country should be corruption free and every individual should be equal irrespective of their religion, caste, gender and creed.
The symbol of the party is a clock showing time 10:10 with blue background which is situated in the centre of the national flag. It says that party will work for the people no matter how hard the situation is.
The leaders of the party which represents the party at the national level are:
- Sharad Pawar: Sharad Pawar is the president of the party and represents the party in the Lok Sabha. He has been the CM of Maharashtra and right now is serving the Ministry of Agriculture and of Food Processing. He was the president of International Cricket Council.
- Tariq Anwar: He is the General Secretary of the Party. He is presently the Minister of State for Agriculture. Tariq Anwar is also the founder of social organizations like Jan Astha and All india Quami Tanzeem which works for the welfare of the weaker sections of the society.
- Praful Patel:Praful Patel is the Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises. He is the President of All India Football Federation and member of Parliament. He is an executive member of Asian Football Federation.
Achievements of the party
The party has made a number of contribution to the political scenario of the country. Some of them are as follows:
- It has formed a number of organizations like Nationalist Youth Congress for the youth wing, Nationalist Kisan Sabha for the farmers, and some other organizations like Nationalist Student Congress, Rashtrawadi Yuvati Congress, etc.
- While being the Minister of agriculture, he increased the for the farming budget from 2% to 4.5%. This led to decreased suicides in the country. He received ‘Krishi Ratna’ Award for the same. He introducted a number of schemes to increase crop production like Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojna, Jute Technology Mission, Rural Development and National Project on Management of Soil, Health and Fertility.
- P A Sangma was Lok Sabha Speaker and was strict speaker who maintained the etiquette of the House. He has even started night schools for the underprivileged children. He is also associated with Youth Hostel Association of India and Red Cross.
- Praful Patel while being the Aviation Minister has developed many airports of international quality in the country. He has increased the number of Air India flights and has improved the flight connectivity of the domestic flights.
Official Website of NCP: http://www.ncp.org.in
Head-Office Address of NCP: 10, Dr. Bishambhar Das Marg, New Delhi- 110001
PHONE: 011- 23314414, 23359218, 23752938
FAX : +91 11 23352112
Email id: [email protected]
Last Updated on 10/3/2013